Wednesday 7 September 2011

Back to the Farm...

It occurred to me that I’ve spent more time writing about our exploits and travels and less about our farming.  It’s been tough to really maximise the bounty of the land in the form of canning and bottling etc. since our decision was made to return to Cayman.
I have been experimenting with methods of making jam and canning things and haven’t really been blogging about that but I can report that I’ve had about as many disasters as I have had successes!
My latest experiment was fig, lemon & ginger jam in the crockpot - I’ve only just bottled it and I have a loaf of bread in the oven as I type (multigrain today to have with our curried coconut lentil soup for lunch) so shall know whether this latest experiment can be added to the list of disasters or the list of successes - if it’s a success I do feel it may be quite revolutionary for being able to multi task on jamming days!
Our dream is to one day fill the “cave” (or larder for those UK folk following) with shelves upon shelves of produce that’s been bottled, pickled and/or canned so that if we have a particularly harsh winter we can remain fairly self sufficient with no need to nip out to the shops if we get snowed in!
With this in mind, and although we haven’t maximised our pickling and bottling and jamming this summer, I do think we’ve used the time as wisely as we can, experimenting with recipes and methods so that when we really have to maximise everything that’s produced in the orchard and garden we’re in a strong position to do so.  How blessed to have this opportunity to “pretend” to farm before actually having to rely on our (limited) skills to survive.
So as we’re on countdown for our return to Cayman (4 weeks tomorrow until we actually fly out of France), our priority has become less about canning and bottling (although I know once back in Cayman I will have regrets for not bringing suitcases full of produce back with me!) and more about the renovations so that we’re that much more comfortable upon our return.
Although only early September, autumn has arrived in force - to be expected after the stunning summer we’ve had, but it’s amazing how last week I was weeding in a bikini and today I’m typing in jeans and a woolly jumper!
After only 3 days away in Madrid, I’ve completely lost control of my garden again - whilst we were enjoying sunshine in Madrid it would appear the veggies were enjoying some rain here which has meant we’ve managed to harvest another 1/2 dozen courgettes (there doesn’t seem to be an end in sight for these either!), lots and lots of tomatoes, 4 aubergines and our second melon - I’m hoping it will keep so that we can share it with Tony’s mum and aunt when they arrive on Saturday.
Off to enjoy some warming lentil soup for lunch (recipe below).
Bon apetit!


Easy curried lentil soup
1 onion, chopped
2-3 garlic cloves, crushed
splash of olive oil
1 litre of chicken or vegetable stock
1 can coconut milk
1 can stewed tomatoes
salt & pepper
1 tablespoon curry powder
2 cups red lentils, washed
Cilantro or parsley (optional) for garnish
Saute the onion and garlic in the oil until soft but not discoloured.  Add the lentils and mix well - add the tomatoes, vegetable or chicken stock, salt & pepper and curry powder - Let simmer for 10-15 minutes until the lentils are cooked but haven’t lost their colour.  Add the coconut milk.
Puree in a blender until smooth - reheat - adjust the consistency as needed (by either adding more stock or water or milk - you will then need to adjust the seasoning as well) - serve with chopped parsley or cilantro and a salad and fresh bread!

No comments:

Post a Comment